Thursday, August 6, 2009

Judge by yourself

Recently you must have come arcoss on the TV about racist attacks on Indians, especially students. After what happend in Sydney test every one at first opportunity pointing fingers at Australia. I'm staying in this country for last 2 years. I don't say there is no racism. Traces of it are visible if you see closely. But the problem with the students is not racism but attitude. And how media reported back in India. One fine morning I recieved a phonce call from home enquiring about our safety then i came to know about the incident.

I zapped through some of the Indian television channels and really felt sick of what is shown and how the whole issue is portrayed. One should understand when you go to some others house you should respect their way of living but not ridicule them. Saying that without we Indian students Australian universities cannot exit is not just childish but foolish. Most of the students come here on student visas to join in cookery classes! Beacuse that is the easy way of getting into the country and later to get the permanent residency (PR) status. You may wonder what is a big deal. It is a big deal. The PR status gives them monetary benfits in many ways. Starting with colleges they need not to pay huge amount of fees as international students. If they are unemployed they will get allowances, full medical care, etc, etc. These monetary benefits lure many students to this country.

I'm not supporting what happend in Melbourne or Sydney. But how it is misinterpreted in media. What is its responsibility?

I'm giving below a link to TV program aired on Tuesday in one of the Australian channels. This will show you how media in two different countries reacted to the same issue. Then judge by yourself.

http://news.sbs.com.au/insight/episode/index/id/87#watchonline

No comments:

Post a Comment